Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Sharing Mushrooms Charleston


There are two kinds of cooks in the South--those who share their favorite family recipes. And those who don't. I am of the former variety. I always feel honored when someone asks me for a recipe. And even more honored when I hear it has become a family favorite of theirs, as well. Below is my recipe for Mushrooms Charleston...and my homage to my dear friend Margarite Carpenter. You may also find the recipe on my website at http://vickiwilkerson.com/Resources.html .

 
Mushrooms Charleston
(an appetizer)
1 lb container of medium mushrooms (washed and dried)
4-5 TBS butter (divided)
¼ cup chopped bell pepper (very small dice)
¼ cup chopped yellow onion (very small dice)
1 ½ cups soft bread crumbs
½ tsp salt
½ tsp thyme
¼ rounded tsp turmeric
¼ tsp pepper

Remove stems from all mushrooms and finely chop enough stems to measure 1/3 cup. Melt 3 TBS butter in skillet and sauté chopped stems, bell pepper and onion approximately 5 minutes until tender and turn off heat. Stir in remaining ingredients (except the 1 TBS butter). If mixture is too dry, add 1 more TBS butter. Melt an additional 1 TBS butter in shallow baking pan. Fill mushroom caps with stuffing mixture and place filled side up in baking dish. Bake 15 minutes. I always serve these on the pictured pheasant platter that my dear friend Margarite Carpenter gave me years ago. And it had been in her family for many years before that. Though she is gone, I remember her fondly and everything she taught me as a cook each time I use the lovely tray. She and the platter remain very special to me

Bon appetite, y’all!

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment