Friday, February 14, 2014

Pregnant, Midget, Vampire Brides? Hmmm...


Pregnant, Midget, Vampire Brides? Hmmm…


So, what trips my trigger when it comes to romantic story lines, you ask? Really?

No. Really. Yes. Reality. For me to totally immerse myself into a story, I’ve got to find it believable, like it could actually happen. To me. I’m on board for the author to take me anywhere if it can truly happen. But if you offer me a story line about a secret baby who has amnesia (and got amnesia because she’s also a fairy who fell from the sky), well… Not so much.

Please don’t throw rocks. I know there are readers out there who like that sort of thing. Heck, I have author friends who write that sort of thing. And they have lots of readers who love to read that sort of novel. But you asked me, “…what trips my trigger...?” so I answered honestly.

Give me a “boss/employee” story, or an “opposites attract” tale, or a “friends to lovers” book, and I will give that author many hours of my time to entertain me. My time is an investment, and I want a payoff that I can believe. I love to read how ordinary people with ordinary lives can end up happy and fulfilled. I can substitute myself for the heroine and imagine that I, too, can experience a love like that.

Not so much when an author tries to feed me a line about a handsome, ripped billionaire tycoon who falls for an ugly duckling who snorts when she laughs and dribbles Coke out the side of her mouth when she drinks. The author can try—if she’s really good at storytelling, but the moment my little brain says, “Really?” I’m done. It’s that “jump the shark” moment. I mean, have you seen photos of attractive billionaire tycoons’ wives? Seriously. They are freaking gorgeous! All of them. Well, almost. At least they started out cute, and they might end up average after some road miles, but for a billionaire tycoon—who could have his pick of almost any woman out there—to fall for Cruella Deville? It could happen…but it’s probably not going to.

That brings me to my next point. Connectivity and probability. Again, I am discussing what I like, not what my neighbor likes. Connectivity and probability play a big role in what I read and in what I write. Take the whole “royalty” or “sheik” story line. I’ve never met—or have even seen in person—one of these types of people. And the probability of a prince falling for me… Well, let’s just say, it’s not going to happen. That’s why I don’t read or write a “royalty” trope. And do you know how many Navy SEALs there actually are out there? Not that many. The Navy doesn’t just train anyone who signs up, so the probability of running into one of them and him falling for little ol’ me is slim to never going to happen.

So, what are the kinds of story lines do I write, you ask? (Or maybe you didn’t ask, and I’m going to tell you anyway—if you don’t mind.) My first book in the Summerbrook Series (a series about girlfriends from a small, Southern town) is Bikers and Pearls. It’s a healthy opposites attract story, with a prissy Southern belle as a heroine and a biker hero. They both grow from learning about each other’s very different worlds. The next in the series (probably a May 2014 release) is Sweet Tea and the Enemy and has a strong enemies to lovers trope. It’s kind of a “two dogs/one bone” story. Somebody is going to lose everything, and then, how can there be love? The third in the Summerbrook series is Fireflies and Lies (coming winter 2014), a story about the heroine overcoming her emotional problems, only to find a forbidden love (and then doing what is necessary to hold on to him). The last in the series is Swamps and Soirees (coming spring 2015), which is an across the tracks story. It’s about a Southern guy with a blue blood name and a girl whose family heritage is tainted and sketchy—at best.

Yes, I acknowledge the fact that some readers like to be completely taken away by werewolves and vampires, and some want the fantasy about their uber-wealthy playboys, but I want something grounded in reality. I want to realistically place myself in the character’s shoes and believe that “happily ever after” could actually happen for her—and for me.

Really.

21 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining in the hop! Happy Valentine's Day!
    Ashley A
    ash_app@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Ashley. And thanks for stopping by the hop!

      Delete
    2. Hello friends out there my name is Alex Daniel am a vampire i was born in California am 40 years old i love being a vampire because i always get what i want i have initiate allot of friends and family member, young and old ,if you have interest and you want to be a vampire you are free i can turn you and you will be one of us. Fame, money, anything you want will defiantly be yours contact vampireword74@gmail.com today and be one of us or you can call on +2348105217305
      Thanks

      Delete
  2. I sometimes find that some stories are over the top and although I do enjoy a good fantasy story there are some that are out there even for me! I do enjoy a great book that actually good happen in an everyday life setting as well just depending on my mood! Thanks for sharing and have a great day! amybowens34@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment on the blog hop. You are right about having to be in a "mood" for a particular type of story. :)

      Delete
  3. I giggle a lot when I read some of the over the top stories, I figure at least I get a laugh but I don't get the satisfaction when I finish like books that draw me in.

    Thanks for being part of the hop!

    Shannon
    sabai30705(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon, you are so right! Some stories are so over the top that one must laugh along with the author. The stories, however, that move me are the ones based in reality. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for being in the hop!
    Hope your Valentine's Day was good!
    natasha_donohoo_8 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the post, thank you!
    verusbognar (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like a variety of books, even those that I know can not happen (vampires, shifters, etc). I personally the the escape from reality for as long as I am in the book, the "what if" factor. But I do also really love real life possible stories (friends to lovers, etc) too.
    June
    manning_J2004 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hearing about what readers love, June. Happy reading!

      Delete
  7. For me, I prefer more fantasy than reality in my romance, I guess. I want the over the top (sometimes). I am very much a mood reader, but read more fantasy than reality. Lol.
    Thank you for sharing your favorite. :)
    trb0917 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always amazed at how creative some of my writer friends can be with their "over the top" stories. It is a real talent! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  8. Hello friends out there my name is Alex Daniel am a vampire i was born in California am 40 years old i love being a vampire because i always get what i want i have initiate allot of friends and family member, young and old ,if you have interest and you want to be a vampire you are free i can turn you and you will be one of us. Fame, money, anything you want will defiantly be yours contact vampireword74@gmail.com today and be one of us or you can call on +2348105217305
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello friends out there my name is Alex Daniel am a vampire i was born in California am 40 years old i love being a vampire because i always get what i want i have initiate allot of friends and family member, young and old ,if you have interest and you want to be a vampire you are free i can turn you and you will be one of us. Fame, money, anything you want will defiantly be yours contact vampireword74@gmail.com today and be one of us or you can call on +2348105217305
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you want to have power and influence over others, To be charming and desirable, To have wealth, health, without delaying in a good human posture and becoming an immortal? If yes, these your chance. It's a world of vampire where life get easier,We have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich, You will assured long life and prosperity, You shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness, Stronger and also very fast, You will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, This is an opportunity to have the human vampire virus to perform in a good posture. If you are interested contact us on Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have my ATM card already programmed to withdraw the maximum of $ 4,000 a day for a maximum of 20 days. I'm so happy with this because I got mine last week and I've used it to get $ 44,000. Mr Clifford is giving the card just to help the poor and needy even though it is illegal but it is something nice and it is not like another scam pretending to have the ATM cards blank. And no one gets caught when using the card. Get yours today by sending a mail to cliffordhackerspays@gmail.com.... THIS IS 100% REAL. I AM A BENEFICIARY OF THIS. HACKERS EMAIL: cliffordhackerspays@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have my ATM card already programmed to withdraw the maximum of $ 4,000 a day for a maximum of 20 days. I'm so happy with this because I got mine last week and I've used it to get $ 44,000. Mr Clifford is giving the card just to help the poor and needy even though it is illegal but it is something nice and it is not like another scam pretending to have the ATM cards blank. And no one gets caught when using the card. Get yours today by sending a mail to cliffordhackerspays@gmail.com.... THIS IS 100% REAL. I AM A BENEFICIARY OF THIS. HACKERS EMAIL: cliffordhackerspays@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have you heard about programmed ATM card? I have my ATM card, already programmed BY Mr Perry Thomas. It is illegal but nice to have one not like other scammers pretending to have the ATM card. The ATM card can be used to withdraw cash at any ATM or swipe, stores and online purchase. Get yours today by sending an email to perrythomas827@gmail.com .... THIS IS 100% REAL. I AM A BENEFICIARY OF THESE. HACKERS EMAIL: perrythomas827@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete